Served as a Member on the Following COMMITTEES/BOARDS:
- Region -7 Director and President of IEEE-Canada (2008-2009)
- Chair of R-7 The Humanitarian Initiatives Committee (HIC)
- Member of the “Teacher In-Service & Pre-College Education”
Committee of Region-7 (2008 – 2014)
- Member the History Committee of Region-7 (2008 – 2015)
- Chair, IEEE Canada Nominations & Appointments Committee (2010-2011).
- Member, IEEE Canada Awards Committee (2008-2011).
- During my term in office as Director of Region 7 and President of IEEE
Canada (2008–2009), established the following 3 Standing Committees:
– The History Committee of Region-7.
– The Canadian Humanitarian Initiatives Committee (HIC) of Rrgion-7
– The “Teacher In-Service & Pre-College Education”, as a Standing
Committee of R -7
- Promoted and worked closely with IEEE/EAB to conduct the two days Training Workshops on “Teacher In-Service Program” for IEEE Canada Sections. The Workshops were started in Montreal, May 2009, and repeated in Toronto, April 28-29, 2011, Visit: http://www.ieee.org/web/services/mps/7tisp509/index.html
- As (2008 – 2009) Director of Region 7, I established and developed training sessions for Sections Volunteer Leaders focusing on Member Benefits, promoting Canadian History and recruiting volunteers to document Milestones.
- As Regional Director, I actively encouraged and supported establishing the first outside the US (IEEE/ Eta Kappa Nu “HKN” Chapter) at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada.
- Established an Ad-Hoc Committee for implementing the 25-Year Snapshot of IEEE Canada Achievements Brochure that summarized our record over the past twenty five years and made it available at Section Congress’08 and during the Celebration of IEEE 125 years Anniversary.
- Publicized IEEE in invited talks on the Celebration of IEEE125th. Anniversary at some of Region 7 IEEE Sections: the IEEE/NCS Edmonton, 2009, IEEE/Toronto Section, 2009, IEEE/Ottawa Section, December’2009, and IEEE/Canadian Atlantic Section, Halifax, Dec.’2009. Also, shared celebrations with R-8 as an invited Speaker by the IEEE Signal Processing Society ICIP’2009 in Cairo Egypt, October’09.
- Developed the Spring Region Meeting Training Sessions and invited Guest Speaker May’2009
- Member of the Organizing Committee Section Congress ‘08 held in Quebec City, October’2008
- General Co-Chair MTS/IEEE OCEANS’2008, held in Quebec City Rgion-7, October’2008.
- IEEE – Canada Liaison Section Congress’05, held in Tampa, FL.
- IEEE-Canada Sction/ Chapters Coordinator, Distinguished Speakers Coordinator (2003–2007). During my term of service I led the effort with IEEE/EAB cooperation to offer (the first outside US) Pre-College Education Training Tour to multiple IEEE Sections in IEEE-Canada.
- Chair of Eastern Canada Council IEEE –Canada (2002-2003)
- Chair of the Conference Organizing Committee of CCECE’2000 (IEEE-Canada Annual Conference) held in Halifax, May’2000.
- Board member of IEEE Canada Foundation (2010-2011). Served the Foundation as Fund Raising Committee (2001-2003) and Student Affairs Committee, Eastern Canada (2000-2004).
- Founder and Chair of IEEE/Oceanic Engineering Society (OES) Chapter in Halifax, Canada, 1995.
- Instrumental in establishing IEEE/Oceanic Engineering Society (OES) Chapters in (Region-7) Canadian Atlantic Section (1985) and recently helped establish a new joint OES Chapter in Quebec. Helped establish OES Chapters in (Region- 8) France (1992) and Norway (1995)
- Helped develop IEEE/Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC) Society Chapter in Montreal, Canada (Region 7), 2006
- Organized many Workshops and Panel Discussions with IEEE Sections/Chapters co- operations
- Contribution to (IEEE/Sections) as Invited Speaker by WIE Affinity Group of Montreal, Toronto and Halifax Sections.
- Member of IEEE Canada Foundation Student Affairs Committee for Eastern Canada Student Branches (2000-2004)
- Invited Speaker by IEEE Canadian Atlantic Section/Student Branch
- Invited Speaker by IEEE Toronto Section/Student Branch
- Invited Speaker by IEEE/NCS Edmonton Section/Student Branch.
IEEE/Oceanic Engineering Society (OES):
- Chaired IEEE-OES Membership Development 1992-1994 and 2014-2015
- Vice-President (International Activities) IEEE/OES, two terms, (1990-1996)
- IEEE-OES Administrative Committee 1986-2000, 2002-2017 and 2019-2021
- IEEE/OES Fellow Evaluations Committee 2015-2018
- IEEE-OES Conference Publication Committee 2013-2014
- Associate Editor of IEEE Oceanic Engineering Journal.
- Member Board of Reviewers OES Conference Proceedings
- Ferial has been instrumental in establishing IEEE/OES Chapters in (Region -8), France and in Trondheim, Norway in addition to IEEE/OES Canadian Atlantic Chapter in Halifax, Canada.
- Tutorials Program Committee Chair for many of the IEEE/OES International OCEANS Conferences.
IEEE/Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC) Society & IEEE/PES Society:
- IEEE/SMC 2020 Publicity Committee and Chair UMSE workshop, Toronto 2020.
- IEEE/SMC Member at Large 2019
- Founder and Chair 2015 – to date IEEE/SMC Technical Committee on (UMSE)
- Chaired IEEE/SMC’2007 Conference held in Montreal, Canada October 2007.
- Chaired IEEE/SMC’1985 Conference held in Halifax, Canada, October’1985.
IEEE/Power & Energy (PES)
- Chaired IEEE/PES LESCOPE 2002 Conference till 2007
- Organizing Committee Chair IEEE/PES EPEC 2010
- Technical Program Chair IEEE/PES LESCOPE 1997 Conference till 2001
- AdCom Representative for IEEE/SMC 2019-2020
Non IEEE Activities:
- Council Member of the Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC)
- Fellow of the Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC)
- Council Member of the Marine Technology Society (MTS)
- Founding and Passed Chair of the Marine Technology Society (MTS) Canadian Maritime Section.
- Emeritus Fellow Member Marine Technology Society (MTS)
- Served the local Association of Professional Engineers of Nova Scotia (APENS) by Chairing many Committees including WIE Committee.