- Member of the Board of Directors (2008-2009)
- Member and Geographic Activities Board, member (2008-2009)
- MGA representative on the Pre-College Education Ad-Hoc Committee (2009)
- The IEEE/Ad-Hoc Committee on Industry Relations (2009)
- Chair of the IEEE/Ad-Hoc Committee on Joint National Awards between
IEEE and EIC (2008-2009).
- Member of the Multi-Lingual Subcommittee of IEEE Transnational Committee (2001-2004)
- Member of the Rejuvenation Subcommittee of IEEE/Section-Chapter Support Committee (2004- 2007).
- Member IEEE Conferences Services Committee (2007-2008)
- Member of IEEE History Committee (2004-2005)
- Member the Hearing Panel of the Member Conduct Committee “EMCC” (2002-2006)
- Region -7 Director and President of IEEE-Canada (2008-2009)
- Chair of Rrgion-7 The Humanitarian Initiatives Committee (HIC)
- Member of the “Teacher In-Service & Pre-College Education” Committee of
Region-7 (2008 – Present)
- Member the History Committee of Region-7 (2008 – Present)
- Chair, IEEE Canada Nominations & Appointments Committee (2010-2011).
- Member, IEEE Canada Awards Committee (2008-2011).
- During my term in office as Director of Region 7 and President of IEEE
Canada (2008–2009), established the following 3 Committees:
– The History Committee of Region-7.
– The Canadian Humanitarian Initiatives Committee (HIC) of Rrgion-7
– The “Teacher In-Service & Pre-College Education”, as a Standing
Committee of R -7
- Promoted and worked closely with IEEE/EAB to conduct the two days Training Workshops on “Teacher In-Service Program” for IEEE Canada Sections. The Workshops were started in Montreal, May 2009, and repeated in Toronto, April 28-29, 2011, Visit: http://www.ieee.org/web/services/mps/7tisp509/index.html
- As (2008 – 2009) Director of Region 7, I established and developed training sessions for Sections Volunteer Leaders focusing on Member Benefits, promoting Canadian History and recruiting volunteers to document Milestones.
- As Regional Director, I actively encouraged and supported establishing the first outside the US (IEEE/ Eta Kappa Nu “HKN” Chapter) at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada.
- Established an Ad-Hoc Committee for implementing the 25-Year Snapshot of IEEE Canada Achievements Brochure that summarized our record over the past twenty five years and made it available at Section Congress’08 and during the Celebration of IEEE 125 years Anniversary.
- Publicized IEEE in invited talks on the Celebration of IEEE125th. Anniversary at some of Region 7 IEEE Sections: the IEEE/NCS Edmonton, September 24, 2009, IEEE/Toronto Section September 25, 2009, IEEE/Ottawa Section, December’2009, and IEEE/Canadian Atlantic Section, Halifax, Dec.’2009. Also, shared celebrations with R-8 as an invited Speaker by the IEEE Signal Processing Society ICIP’2009 in Cairo Egypt, October’09.
- Developed the Spring Region Meeting Training Sessions and invited Guest Speaker May’2009
- Member of the Organizing Committee Section Congress ‘08 held in Quebec City, October’2008
- General Co-Chair MTS/IEEE OCEANS’2008, held in Quebec City Rgion-7, October’2008.
- IEEE – Canada Liaison Section Congress’05, held in Tampa, FL.
- IEEE – Canada Section/ Chapters Coordinator, Distinguished Speakers Coordinator (2003–2007). During my term of service I led the effort with IEEE/EAB cooperation to offer (the first outside US) Pre-College Education Training Tour to multiple IEEE Sections in IEEE-Canada.
- Chair of Eastern Canada Council IEEE –Canada (2002-2003)
- Chair of the Conference Organizing Committee of CCECE’2000 (IEEE-Canada Annual Conference) held in Halifax, May’2000.
- Board member of IEEE Canada Foundation (2010-2011). Served the Foundation as Fund Raising Committee (2001-2003) and Student Affairs Committee, Eastern Canada (2000-2004).
- Founder and Chair of IEEE/Oceanic Engineering Society (OES) Chapter in Halifax, Canada, 1995.
- Instrumental in establishing IEEE/Oceanic Engineering Society (OES) Chapters in (Region-7) Canadian Atlantic Section (1985) and recently helped establish a new joint OES Chapter in Quebec. Helped establish OES Chapters in (Region- 8) France (1992) and Norway (1995)
- Helped develop IEEE/Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC) Society Chapter in Montreal, Canada (Region 7), 2006
- Organized many Workshops and Panel Discussions with IEEE Sections/Chapters co- operations
- Contribution to (IEEE/Sections) as Invited Speaker by WIE Affinity
Group of Montreal, Toronto and Halifax Sections.
- Member of IEEE Canada Foundation Student Affairs Committee for Eastern Canada Student Branches (2000-2004)
- Invited Speaker by IEEE Canadian Atlantic Section/Student Branch
- Invited Speaker by IEEE Toronto Section/Student Branch
IEEE/Oceanic Engineering Society (OES):
- IEEE/OES Fellow Evaluations Committee 2010- to date
- Chair of the IEEE/OES Membership Development Committee (2015).
- Member of the IEEE / OES Administrative Committee (AdCom) (2015 – 2017)
- Member of the IEEE / OES Administrative Committee (AdCom) (1989-93) and (1997-2007).
- Associate Editor of IEEE Oceanic Engineering Journal.
- Member Board of Reviewers OES Conference Proceedings
- Vice-President (International Activities) IEEE/OES, two terms, (1990-1996)
- Chair of the IEEE/OES Membership Development Committee (1994-1998).
- Ferial has been instrumental in establishing IEEE/OES Chapters in (Region -8), one based in France and one in Trondheim, Norway in addition to IEEE/OES Canadian Atlantic Chapter in Halifax, Canada.
- Chair of the Tutorials Program Committee for many of the IEEE/OES International OCEANS Conferences.
IEEE/Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC) Society & IEEE/PES Society:
- IEEE/SMC Technical Committee on (UMSE) Founder and Chair 2015 – to date.
- Chair of the Organizing Committee and Tutorial Program Chair of IEEE/SMC’07 Conference held in Montreal, Canada October 2007.
- General Co-Chair of the IEEE/SMC’85 Conference held in Halifax, Canada, October’1985.
- Technical Program Chair, Large Engineering Systems Conference on Power Systems (LESCOPE) sponsored by IEEE/PES, and Canadian Atlantic Section (1997-2001)
- General Chair, IEEE/Large Engineering Systems Conference onPower Systems (LESCOPE) sponsored by IEEE/PES, and Canadian Atlantic Section , years of (2002 up to 2007)
Non IEEE Activities:
- Council Member of the Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC)
- Fellow of the Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC)
- Council Member of the Marine Technology Society (MTS)
- Founding and Passed Chair of the Marine Technology Society (MTS) Canadian Maritime Section.
- Emeritus Fellow Member Marine Technology Society (MTS)